Saturday, January 16, 2010

snake

I have a snake. I've had snakes quite often over the years but they always manage to escape. Which is why I'm not allowed to keep them in the house. It always amazes me how they find their way out but I guess the have nothing better to do than look. And eat. which is why I have had them. When I was a kid (a younger kid) my cousins had a boa constrictor and when we'd visit they would feed him. Or her. How can you tell? Anyway, I just was fascinated to see them drop a mouse in and the boa would pounce, or the snake equivalent of pounce, and breakfast was served.
I'm a guy, mostly a kid if truth be told, and I like guy things. Except for my daughter, snakes are a guy thing. And we like them, not 'cause we like to hold them or they're cute, but because we like to see them kill and eat. I have a 2' corn snake and I bought a mouse that I knew was too big. Or I thought I knew. Really, how do you know what's too big. Or better yet , how do they know? They have a brain the size of a bb. So I dropped him in and ZAP ! Snakes can move soo fast.I know it's gross but I like to see him wrap himself around the poor, unsuspecting mouse who squeaks once (which roughly translated means "oh crap...") then his eyes bulge and his leg twitches and it's over. Then the snake opens his mouth impossibly wide and swallows the mouse. I've done this many times and each time I do it I just watch in wonder.
Wonder. What is that? To sit and stare in awe? To be so fascinated you can't take your eyes off something? You say "how can that be?" or "wow" or "how is that possible?". I get like that every time I watch a snake eat. Wonder
I'll tell you when I don't get like that often enough. When I sit with God. Or walk with Him. I'm not fascinated. I don't go "oh WOW" enough. I'm mostly too busy with the things of life I just don't pay enough attention. I've lost that sense of wonder. It comes in spurts but it's not a way of life. I want better. For Him. He deserves so much "WOW". I'm praying that He'll open up my mine to His WOWness. He is deserving of my fascination, my wonder. How 'bout you?

No comments:

Post a Comment