Friday, January 22, 2010

Being prepared

I went to a bible study last night. Home group we call it but it meets at the church. Hummm. Well, I guess it's Gods house so that's ok. We ( Terri and me ) haven't been going that much of late because it's on Thursday nights and Survivor's on that night. It's weak but the only excuse I've got. So we went last night - kind of a last minute decision. I should say that me and bible studies, or church for that matter don't get along too well. My mind wanders, I'm fidgety, and the music is too loud. Do you ever see that kid in church sitting next to his mom, with his cute tie and dress shirt on and he's looking up at the ceiling counting ceiling tiles? Or the pin holes in the ceiling tiles. That's me. Now. So I don't do sitting very well. They tell me I'll grow out of it...
So we show up and do the chit - chat thing, the snack and drink thing and then get down to business...the teaching! ...1 ceiling tile, 2 ceiling tile, 3 ceiling tile... . It's the Beatitudes tonight. "Blessed are the..." 4 ceiling tile, 5 ceiling tile..."Blessed are the merciful...KNOCK,KNOCK,KNOCK!!! I turn and look at the door and there is a man at the door and he motions ME to come out. I'm sitting in a plush couch so I motion for HIM to come in. So he comes in with his wife and child and tell us a story about his car burning up in Alabama(how'd he get here?) and he came here to the VA for something or the other. I forgot the details. He was looking for money or a ride to a motel where they had their stuff. We didn't really have anything to give so it was a little awkward for a moment. For them too. It must have been hard for them. Finally some one said we had some food and to please help themselves so they went to the back of the room and ate.
Soooo back to your previously scheduled bible study. "blessed are the merciful...". Munch, munch, munch, crunch, crunch, crunch. Glug,glug,glug. Mmmmm. Aahhhh. Munch,crunch,glug. How can you have a bible study with all this going on? Strangers eating our food(well,ok so I didn't actually bring any food) while we're trying to go about our business as usual. Very uncomfortable for me . Like, whats next? What's are we supposed to do after they finish eating? Thankfully for this family, I was not in charge. I would have dropped the ball so completely. I was not ready. I was not prepared. I was NOT prepared!
I am grateful for the others at the group that night. They WERE prepared. One woman said she and her daughter had felt God wanting them to use their home for some one who needed help. She practically jumped up and insisted they stay at her house.One guy left to go to the atm for cash, and gave them a ride to the hotel their stuff was at. We prayed for them. Some knew just what to pray for. These peoples needs were being met by people who were prepared.They were not being met by me- too busy counting ceiling tiles. I'm so ashamed.
It was just yesterday so I don't know what happened with them today. I suppose it could all been a scam and we got taken advantage of.Don't think so though. But whatever the case I learned something yesterday. The Boy Scouts have it right you know. "Always be prepared". It's my intent to pay attention to my DAD and see what He's doing. To be on my toes, looking for opportunities to get involved in His doings. To be prepared...

No comments:

Post a Comment