Monday, August 23, 2010

Missed It By That Much

I have an agreement with the airlines that if I don't show up when I say I will they should just go on and leave without me.

My Dad has an agreement with me that He'll give me opportunities to raise my kids but that if I don't show up He'll let time move on without me.

I'm a daydreamer. I watched a movie in my youth group many moons ago about this kid who was supposed to do something for God and he was daydreaming he was in front of a crowd of people preaching his heart out and they were swooning and raising their hands and shouting AMEN as hundreds came to the alter to get saved. By the end of the movie though he was a janitor pushing a mop and telling a lonely kid about Jesus. Doing what God wanted. Just didn't have the same panache as the big time preacher dream.

I wanted to be a big time preacher and make the people swoon. No skills. I had the painting skills, fixing skills, ninja skills, driving skills. No teaching skills. Like Maxwell Smart used to say: "Missed it by that much".

I saw another movie last night that made me cry. To Save A Life was the title. About a high school kid whose friend committed suicide. He felt awful. In his quest to find out why, he got saved, took God serious and didn't miss the opportunity to stop someone from doing the same thing. He DIDN'T miss it by that much. I know it was just a movie but I love it when God shows up and does stuff. Makes me cry.

Sometimes I don't show up. Show up for those divine appointments I hear so much about. Too busy looking for that large crowd to preach to. My life is so full of missed chances to make my Dad look good. To make better the lives of my wife, kids, neighbors, homeless or whoever I meet. I think I cry because I feel a little smaller for missing so much.

Today was a good day after a hard couple of weeks. Sometimes my life is just a mess. But tomorrow is a new day that I'm trying to look forward to. To take God serious. A day of a new start, new possibilities. A new chance to love and honor My Dad. He is good. His word is good. His desire for me is Great. I will show up for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment