Sunday, July 13, 2014

SIMPLE


Somewhere in the spring of 1980 me and Ronnie Trojanowski hopped in his what had to be an 1870's  Datsun B210, Japans answer to the atomic bomb, and headed for the river. It was tan (or maybe that was rust), had four wheels and more duct tape than bolts holding it together. Come to think of it, it was probably far  more dangerous than the lightning that would be crashing down around us as we tubed down the river an hour later. That's the great thing about being 17 and a guy. You're mentally retarded and you're ok with that as long as you got someone along to be retarded with  you. Mostly  was the one who came along with everyone else. We all have a place.

Florida is full of springs. All cold. All 72 degrees. Well, cold to Floridians. I only knew about the beach and it's warm 85 degree gulf stream waters as a child. The first real spring I ever went to was with the church group in high school during one of their many "summer outings" designed to keep us wee little cretins from smoking pot and setting off firecrackers at the nursing home. Usually on these trips half the kids were saved and half were degenerates sent by their parents to get that way and I think it was one of that  group who pushed me in. No warning. No dipping my toes in. No getting used to the water. I was airborne and then I couldn't breath.

Cold . So cold .. When you're not ready for it, cold water is a killer. It was Gods second choice of punishment for those cast into eternal damnation. It only helps a little to dip your feet in before the plunge but there's some psychological boost you get if you do it first. I get chills just walking up to the springs now. I'm getting a chill just talking about. One of my most favorite things is tubing down the Ichetucknee springs river but I almost can't do it. I don't like to be cold. Brrrr...72 degrees...

I got a chill the other day that had nothing to do with water. It was a song. You ever get that? It was Simple Man by Leonard Skynard (only the best southern band ever). It's about a mother telling her son about how to live life. Don't live fast. Find a woman. Not a fast one I suppose. Don't lust for rich mans gold. Be a simple kind of man. I got chills. And I cried because that's what I've always wanted. To be a simple man. To get up in the morning and love God to the best of my understanding. And my wife. And care for my neighbor. I didn't want to have a complicated life with business issues. Marital issues. Car issues. Money issues. Getting fat and growing old issues. I wanted it simple. I wanted it black and white not this nuanced colorful world I'm stuck with. That sounds stupid doesn't it?  Probably I shoulda told my wife this before we got married....

For a while now I have struggled with questions about my faith. Scripture. And God. Why He does  or doesn't do the things He does. I feel small when I say something like that. How I'm really supposed to live and does it even matter if I do or don't live a particular way. Sometimes it appears to not matter. What's that old saying? Evil wins when good men do nothing? I am a good man and  I'm tired of doing nothing. Uncertainty will make you that way. Very lukewarm. In not pursuing answers to my questions and doubts I've become something I never wanted. A simpleton, not the simple man I long to be.  I've become the Gilligan of my world. Loveable, funny, nice and about as deep as a puddle. I want to change that. I want to live up to the worth and value God bestowed on me. And I will. How can I not? I have been touched by the One who loved us all and I can't not follow. Because he loves me. And that, feels really good to this simple man. Real good.


















No comments:

Post a Comment