Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Little Spare Change

I like change . The pocket kind not the life kind . I secretly get excited when I buy something and it comes out a little over a buck . They always ask me if I have the 3 cents so they don't have to give me back a bunch of change . I want to say "Are you nuts? Gimmie the coins!" . I like a little jingle in my pockets .

I see they are coming out with soft drink and snack  machines that don't take coins. You swipe your card or somehow use your phone to get fat now . That's what I need , some method of payment that burns LESS calories . At least there was HOPE when I had to rummage through my pockets for correct change , but now . . . .

I do have a piggy bank at home in case some of my change makes it that far . It used to be a can or a jar but someone gave me one of those banks that counts up the change as it goes in . I'm not really in favor of this because I like the surprise at the end of the year when we see how much was stashed in there . It's usually in the neighborhood of $75 bucks. Back in the day we'd count it all out into piles and start wrapping it in those paper rolls . Some rolls might actually have had the right amount in them . That was back when the kids liked doing things with dad . Now I just go dump it in the machine at Publix . Things do change. . . .

Things DO change don't they? I've always felt like I was a mellow hippy 'cool dude, whatever' kind of a guy who just goes with the flow but I discovered I don't like it so much . Change that is . Anyone who's seen my Facebook posts after Facebook comes up with something new knows I don't like change . A preacher I once heard said if you don't like change you're in for a rough ride . The only thing that doesn't change is change . My life , may be getting bumpier . . . .

I'm a little scared right now . I think I'm on the cusp of change in my life and the future looks really black up ahead . It has to do with my job , as in I don't know if I have one . It's not like I have a boss except for me and I know I'm not firing me but the customers are just not calling . Like humanity has collectively pulled a Donald Trump on me . It's not over yet but it feels like it might be . Some things have happened , odd things , odd thoughts that lead me to think this way and it's got me uneasy . I hope It's God .

I've started looking around out there and I feel small . So few opportunities and so many looking for jobs and careers that it seems like impossible odds. At times like these I look at my short comings and weep . Ok so I look at my short comings MORE than normal . I see my flaws and bad habits and inconsistencies and lack of ability and I think 'who would hire this guy'? and the deeper I look the bigger this flawed man becomes and soon he blots out the loving smile and waiting arms of the immense God behind him . A Dad who wants to lead , guide and prosper me . To use me to build up HIS kingdom and not my own . To be an instrument of His love and kindness . Oh how I long for this . How I want to care . I don't want to be scared. I want to be brave .

What ever my course , be it a little change or a lot , I pray it'll be arm and arm with the One I love and want to love more .














1 comment:

  1. Don't sell yourself short! You are competing against a lot of applicants who either don't know anything, or aren't really willing to work. Keep in mind that most employers are looking for someone who is a responsible problem solver. At the end of each week, they want to see a smooth running operation that their own staff has kept running profitably without having to drag the boss away from his/her task. People who just take up space, even if they will do it for less, are not really an asset. They make work for the boss, which he/she didn't really need.

    ReplyDelete