Friday, February 10, 2012

I Never

I never thought I'd weigh 250 pounds. I never thought I'd wear a hat to cover a bald spot. I never thought I'd be sore when I rolled out of bed in the morning. I never thought I'd run a business. I never though I'd own a mini van and be ok with it. And I never thought...

28 years ago today I stood in a park that is no longer there and held hands with a woman who still is. I held those beautiful hands and looked deep in those beautiful eyes and when asked I said I do. The sun shined  brighter and a bird song never more pleasant than the words that befell my ears. She did too! Love is a splendid thing.

Mom and dad never told me love was hard. They never said it would rip my heart out. I didn't know love would hurt. I didn't know love has seasons. Does the oak know, when the birds are nesting among its branches, shaded by its leaves of green, that winter is coming? That it must? But stand it must and stand I have to experience the glories of the fairer months and there have been so many. It has been a joy to stand them all with the love of my life.


I love the finger that holds the ring I placed upon it so many years ago. I love the one to whom the finger belongs, the body and the soul. My summer of love continues on into a future unknown and will be with the one I gladly have known. I'm in love can't you see? With the one who makes it a joy to roll this aching balding fat body out of the rack each day to do it all over again and again and again.

They ask if you could, if you would, have a chance to do it all over again, would you make a different choice? I could not, would not for it would mean I would never glance into the eyes of beauty, hear the voice of wisdom, touch her lips of passion. I can not imagine a greater gift from God. I am rich. My wife is Terri Manche, I never thought I could love so much. I never . . . .

3 comments:

  1. Well, thank you so much for setting the bar so high! Now I gotta go kill me a dragon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, but I hear that there are some living in the glades, God's speed for you Don

      Delete
  2. You are a rich man, Mark Manche!! What a beautiful tribute. :)

    ReplyDelete