Saturday, September 17, 2011

Value

      

        When I was in high school I had 2 teachers with cool cars. One guy had a '74 Corvette and the other had a Porsche Turbo something or the other. A cool looking car but it was brown. Who buys a sports car in the color brown? That's like an accountants color. Or teacher. I said I'd have one of those cars when I get older and I'd love to. I'm just not older yet.

         I went to college once, for about 6 years. I only managed to make it to being a junior so I figured maybe school was not for me. I did get a pretty special wife out of the deal though. After I quit I went to work for a builder for a while. "Amazing Builders". I'm sure the name sounded better after a 6-pack. Good guys tho and they knew how to build a house. We built a few big ones on Palm Beach, one that easily over 20,000 sq. feet. Talk about grand. I did the rough carpentry, framing, trusses, form work, etc. so I never got to see the finished house. Well, the inside anyway. I drove by after it was finished. Wow. I said I would live in a place like that when I was older. Again, I'm not older.

          My wife and I have been at odds over a couple of things of late that we're working out. They didn't tell me there would be "working out" stuff in marriage. I just thought it would be sex and....well, sex. But that's relationships. They take work. Sometimes we find that the time it takes to work things out is measured not with a clock but rather a calendar. And that's so hard isn't it? Most things in life can be solved with the right answer right now but the marriage thing or the child thing or the in-law thing is a bit more difficult. For me, some times I get lost in the process and start to feel unimportant. Not valuable. We all get that way don't we? Just nod your head and say yes. It'll make me feel better...

            I have a friend in another city who lost their job. A great worker who just ran out of work. And life has been a struggle for them. He's really down. I hope he'll make it. It's been a terrible year for my business this year and for guys some of our value is tied up in what we do (it shouldn't be) and we feel...less of a man somehow. We can't provide. Protect. Be what a man is supposed to be. And we feel all alone.

           I was thinking about those sports cars and the mansion. We want 'em because they're hot and glitzy and we look good driving them or walking out the front door. I used to fantasize about that stuff all the time I think because I wanted someone to look at me and say he's rich. Or deeper, he's got value. But our worth doesn't come from our stuff or station in life. It comes from God. It just doesn't feel like it sometimes.

         So as you work through life and you hit those spots where marriage, job, money, kids are giving you the business and you feel like a failure on a lot of levels and not worth much, remember God said you are valuable. I can tell you that right now in my life that sounds so hollow and stupidly religious. I hate saying things like that but it's the truth and I gotta keep that ever before me. I want to persevere and win.

        If you would, keep tabs on people who are in a bad way. Love them. Encourage them. They need to know they matter. They need to know that whether they're on the clock or the calendar, you'll be there with them. Just like Jesus.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment